“Crowdfunding is the new black” – Rowena Wiseman
By Ed Emerson
According to Massolution Research’s CF–Crowdfunding Industry Survey, global crowdfunding will double in 2015 to over $30 billion.
Thus far the market has grown from $6.1 billion raised in 2013, to $16.2 billion in 2014.
Strong growth in the sector is credited to the Asian crowdfunding region where volumes grew by 320% in 2014 to $3.4 billion raised.
By comparison, Europe raised $3.26 billion, while North America, the home of crowdfunding, remained in pole position with a 145% rise year-on-year to $9.46 billion.
The top five most popular crowdfunding categories in 2014
- Business and entrepreneurship – $6.7 billion
- Social causes – $3.06 billion.
- Films and performing arts – $1.97 billion
- Real estate – $1.01 billion.
- Music and recording arts – $736 million